Saturday 30 July 2011

The Daily Grind

Recently I bought a Mazzer Super Jolly for use in our forthcoming coffeeshop. Of course, I'm using at home until then which means it replaces my little Gaggia MDF, an underestimated grinder in my view, but not without its limitations when it comes to domestic espresso grinding (despite modifications).  But I've decided to use the MDF for brewed coffees, rather than the Hario Slim Mill.  The Hario receives good reviews but in practise I haven't found that it produces a consistently sized grind, and as a result it adds an extra challenge to perfecting the brew.  I have found myself thinging "it shouldn't be this difficult"!  We'll see how I get on with the MDF, although initial V60 pourover brews are significantly improved, and I'm now able to complete a 2-to-2.5 minute timer, whereas previously it would either rush through in 1 minute or clog. The colour is better ... deeper, richer... the taste is stronger... and thankfully hasn't resulted in additional bitterness.  I'll keep tweaking the V60 method until I get it spot on, as my pour is still not right.

No comments:

Post a Comment