Monday 22 August 2011

Processing methods & blends (Conclusion)

Quick one today.  Before trying to blend the beans from three different processing methods I thought I'd try an espresso with the Natural processes beans, which have the most body.  When I previously tried the Washed beans as espresso they were highly acidic, almost lemony, so I want to see if the Natural would balance this up.  But they too were quite fizzy as an espresso (for me).  So it's clear to me that my initial idea a few posts back, to blend different processing methods rather than different regions, isn't going to work in this experiment. At least not to suit my own taste in espresso... although many people may like a fizzy single origin espresso.

It's possible that it would work if the beans were roasted differently, but I'm not sure that's a good thing to suggest.  What I'm getting at is that these beans, all three bags, seem to be roasted lighter in comparison with an espresso blend I've been using for my wife's cappuccinos (judging from the spent pucks, anyway).
The two on the left are Finca Argentina,
the one on the right is an espresso blend (from a different roaster).
I've heard a few conflicting things regarding roasts. Some have said espresso benefits from a longer roast, whilst Steven Leighton of Has Bean made a blog post saying (if I understand/remember correctly) that beans need to be roasted to a degree that suits/optimises the beans themselves, not to suit a particular brew method. 

I'm now thinking I perhaps need to know more about roasting before I can successfully blend beans.  That should be obvious really, but it's still rewarding to reach that conclusion through my own experiments rather than just from reading books/blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment