Wednesday 7 September 2011

Home-Roasted Coffee - My First Attempt

There have been some interesting discussions regarding roasting on www.coffeeforums.co.uk recently.  Plenty of us are not roasting yet, but we are definitely roast-curious.

So I thought I'd give it a bash.  I have:
- beans (natural processed arabica... possibly typica) from near Munduk, Bali
- a pan
- a colander
- a hob

Here goes.



UPDATE:
The beans have had 5 days since roasting to degas and develop in a sealable coffee bag, and today I made some coffee. French Press. The bloom was actually huge... I was very surprised.  So I was careful not to agitate the slurry too much.  Actually I should have, because the TDS came out at 0.99%, so the extraction yield was only 15.9%. But it still tasted strong, so who knows!

The body and mouthfeel are actually quite light considering the beans were dry-processed.  Perhaps something to do with my relatively light roast.  No tackiness in the mouth, but there is a mild lingering aftertaste.  There's no bitterness, but the coffee isn't sweet either.  I think it's the first coffee I've tasted that is salty! Can that be good? I suspect not :) But it's not one for the spittoon just yet.  Not much acidity at all, if any.
Actually, as it cools it's improving a little... or maybe it's just that I'm getting used to it. 

Rubber... I think maybe I scorched a few in the pan.
Yeah, the Grassy taste is coming through now.

Whilst it's clearly not a top notch cup of coffee, I think that considering it has come from an unknown farm and been subjected to a terrible roasting process, it's actually ok.  It might perhaps make a decent espresso base, come to think of it. Well... maybe not this batch, but perhaps a future one, once I get the hang of it.  But a little milk might go very well, I think... and I don't even like cappuccinos.

No comments:

Post a Comment