Thursday 8 September 2011

Pourover: I've been doing it wrong...

After finally having a proper read of Scott Rao's 'Everything but espresso' book I've changed a few things and had another revelation.

I had been aiming for a cone shape in the spent grinds of my Hario V60 pourover filter, after watching a multitude of youtubes/vimeos and also attending a local coffee club.




But Rao explains how that's all wrong, and doesn't evenly extract. Amongst other factors, I need to be aiming for a slight doming, and avoid grinds being left "high and dry".
Here's today's filter.




This demanded a complete change to the grind, the pour, and also a more careful attitude to water temperature.

I've combined this with starting to measure TDS and Extraction Yield, to try and fit into the SCAA/SCAE Brewing Control Chart's 'ideal' range.

Result: the same amount of time, slightly more effort, and a hugely delicious cup of Sidamo which I'd previously been unable to describe as anything more than 'hmmm... tolerable'. It is now a very stable cup with clearly distinguishable features of boldness and also bright, sweet fruitiness.

I love finding out I've been doing it wrong. True progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment